WELCOME! We’re dedicated to helping you increase your sustainability… one action at a time!
- Who helps you find LOCAL ways to reduce, reuse, recycle? Like finding a new home for your old couch?
- Who keeps you in the loop about clean water, clean air, clean energy in Cville?
- Who is busy cooking up MORE ways to make green living easier for you? BETTY!
Next up…a Better World Betty Pancake Breakfast!
For more information, check out the Facebook page here.
**Want to see more local businesses embrace sustainability? Tell them to join the Better Business Challenge!** Click HERE to download a flyer you can print and take to your favorite business!
Tired of seeing STYROFOAM takeout containers at your favorite local restaurants? We are, too! Join us in encouraging restaurants to switch to better products for the planet! DOWNLOAD the letter below and MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Say NO to Styrofoam! Share your concerns about styrofoam with local business owners by sending them this letter.
Dear Local Business Owner,
Better World Betty is a local grassroots organization dedicated to empowering people and business with the tools they need to be sustainable. As patrons of your restaurant and local citizens who care about the environmental work of Better World Betty, we have noticed your use of polystyrene (PS/#6) and/or styrofoam (EPS/expanded polystyrene) food service wares.
We wanted to make you aware of the concern with using these products. Several communities in the United States have banned polystyrene and styrofoam use for food service, due to their environmental and human health impacts.
- Polystyrene and styrofoam do not biodegrade in the environment. They are leading components of litter throughout our area and the world, polluting streets, parks, waterways, beaches and the oceans.
- In 2011, styrene was identified by the National Institutes of Health in its 12th Report on Carcinogens as a “reasonably anticipated” carcinogen in humans. Styrofoam and polystyrene containers readily leach styrene into food and liquids.
- Styrofoam and polystyrene plastics are not recyclable. Discarded polystyrene and styrofoam cups, clamshells, utensils, etc. are landfilled or incinerated.
- Styrofoam and polystyrene are made from styrene, a liquid petrochemical. Petrochemicals rely on a non-renewable resource which contributes to climate change.
In light of these facts, we would be grateful if you would consider alternatives to polystyrene and styrofoam for your food service ware.
Where feasible, the best alternatives are traditional reusable products such as stainless steel flatware, ceramic and glass dishes and cups. For take-out, better alternatives are biodegradable paper products that meet biodegradable products institute (BPI) standards for composting, or reusable to-go boxes. Please check out our website www.betterworldbetty.org/ for a list of recommended alternatives.
Thank you for showing that you care about the health of your clients and community by adopting environmentally preferable alternatives to polystyrene and styrofoam.
YOUR NAME HERE